Sunday, March 13, 2011

Is behavior style training for you?

Ever have trouble helping others see things your way?

Do you get frustrated because people misunderstand you?

Can't seem to get your point across effectively?

That was how I felt about 11 years ago when I started my own company. I had the motivation to reach my goal and I had people surrounding me who wanted to help me reach that goal. However, defining the actions items to other in order to get there was another story!

Fortunately I was introduced to the DISC Behavior Style assessment and I found a new way to approach others when communicating that was way more effective than what I was doing initially! I also realized things about myself that maybe others say but I was too stubborn to realize - traits that are good in some ways but overbearing to others at times.

I already knew I was a goal-oriented person, but I did not understand why others did not have that drive I had especially when they were business owners too. I desire results and (here is the overbearing part) I desired results NOW! But on the other hand, I do consider my emotional well-being as important and will concentrate on making sure I support the emotional well-being of others with just as much respect.

Well I finally realized that not many people are "wired" the same way as I am. And even though I thought my way was the right way (and maybe it was), I was not considering the needs of others such as their style of decision making or even their concerns when reciprocating thoughts and ideas.

So when I pursued certification as a human behavior consultant, I changed my views on my relationships with my family, co-workers, and colleagues. It became ALL about understanding their needs instead of forcing my needs upon them. I found I worked better with my colleagues when I was able to understand what actions and considerations actually motivated them - I could speak their language (behaviorally speaking!) and accomplish communicating on the same page which benefited all of us instead of just me.

So if you are concerned about the health of your relationships in your personal or business life - consider making some time for a self-discovery! Find out if your perspectives on communicating and engaging with others need some fine tuning and be open to change! You may find out you can be even more productive and easier to relate to if you open yourself to this idea.

Last question - What could you lose if your give DISC training a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment